Are you looking for a job this summer but unsure where to apply? You’re not alone.
Many laws limit opportunities when it comes to teens under 18. Fortunately, one of the leading fast food chains in the United States has a low age requirement.
What’s the advantage of working there, and how old do you have to be to work at Burger King? Here’s everything you need to know about becoming a team member at this restaurant!
- How Old Do You Have to Be to Work at Burger King?
- Other Burger King Requirements
- Teen Jobs at Burger King
- Is Burger King a Good First Job?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Alternative Companies to Consider
- Wrapping Up
How Old Do You Have to Be to Work at Burger King?
According to Business Insider, you can start working at Burger King at 14.
The minimum age varies based on Burger King’s location. State law overlaps with the Fair Labor Standards Act at times. Here, the law that’s more protective of the minor gets followed.
Does Burger King Hire 14-Year-Olds?
Yes, you can become part of the Burger King team at 14 years old.
Does Burger King Hire 15-Year-Olds?
Yes, working at a fast food chain like Burger King is one of the simplest jobs for 15-year-olds.
As a 15-year-old, you can only work between 7 am and 7 pm. You may stay 18 hours a week during the school year and 40 hours in the summer.
This is crucial information because your general manager may not be aware of the rules!
Does Burger King Hire 16-Year-Olds?
Yes, Burger King does have 16-year-olds on its team.
Teens at this age may work between 6 am and 10 pm for 48 hours a week.
You may cook, operate kitchen equipment, bake, and work in freezers. Those aged 15 and below can’t do this.
A disadvantage is you’re restricted from becoming a delivery driver!
Does Burger King Hire 50-Year-Olds?
Yes, Burger King hires 50-year-olds, but you might have to pick a more suitable role for your age.
Working at this restaurant can get physical. There are rarely any inspirational stories for employees who remain loyal to Burger King.
The New York Post mentions an employee who never missed a workday for 27 years. He only got a backpack as a reward from the restaurant manager. As you can tell, this shocked the nation!
Other Burger King Requirements
What are the requirements to nab that Burger King job?
Aside from a work permit, you should prepare yourself for the usual fast food interview questions. Ensure you exemplify the qualities that Burger King Corporation is looking for.
Here are a few things you might want to know to become part of the team.
Does Burger King Hire Without Experience?
When you look at the Burger King website, you see that the company prefers people with work experience. It doesn’t mean that you can’t become a team member!
You have a good chance of getting hired if you’re able-bodied and you enjoy serving customers.
Does Burger King Hire Without a High School Diploma?
Yes, people without high school diplomas can become employees at a Burger King restaurant. Many job opportunities are available!
It’s even possible to become a team leader if you attend all the training classes and management meetings.
Teen Jobs at Burger King
Burger King is an equal opportunity employer. That means it doesn’t discriminate based on age, gender, race, religion, or disability.
Here are some positions you might want to take as a young Burger King employee.
1. Team Member
Also known as a crew member, a team member is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the restaurant.
Some of your work includes cashiering, cleaning, customer service, and food preparation. If you can make a chicken sandwich or cook breakfast items, then this job is for you.
What’s great about the position is its flexible scheduling. You can also enjoy an employee discount!
Jobs Requirements & Skills
Age Requirement: 14 years old
Typical Pay: $12.55 per hour
Here are the usual skills for team members.
- Cooking Skills: Part of your work is to measure and prepare food according to the instructions set by the district manager. You should have basic knowledge of cooking!
- Customer Relations: Crew members must give exceptional guest service. A pleasing disposition is necessary for this.
- Comprehensive Skills: Team members are food handlers, which means you have to attend food safety training. You must be proficient enough to understand some scientific principles.
2. Hourly Shift Coordinator
The shift coordinator is in charge of opening and closing the restaurant. He also directs the whole team and implements the shift plan.
Becoming a shift coordinator will help set you up for leadership roles in your future careers! It’s a great introduction to food regulatory laws, and you learn a lot about handling people.
It’s a position for those who like a challenge.
Jobs Requirements & Skills
Age Requirement: 18 years old
Typical Pay: $13.56 per hour
These are the skills you need as an hourly shift coordinator.
- Teaching Skills: One of your tasks is to train crew members to adhere to government food safety regulations. You might also set an example to your co-workers when it comes to addressing customer complaints.
- Reading Skills: You have to read up, become inept in government policies, and take the initiative to correct violations.
- Writing Skills: Shift coordinators write reports and complete checklists. Checking inventory, scheduling shifts, and cash reporting are all part of the job.
3. Shift Leader Trainee
There are a few things we like about this position.
You get benefits like tuition assistance, free meals, and insurance! Getting promoted to become an assistant manager is also possible with this role.
As a shift leader trainee, you guide your team through restaurant operations. Delegating work and assisting the restaurant manager are usual tasks.
There are days when you might interview new employees as well.
Jobs Requirements and Skills
Age Requirement: At least 14 to 18 years old, depending on the branch
Typical Pay: $14.84 per hour
Here are the skills you’ll need as a shift leader trainee!
- Multitasking Skills: As an all-around man, you should know how to do everyone’s work. You’ll support co-workers that need help, and you need to have multitasking skills for this.
- Mediating Ability: The shift leader trainee is the go-to person for employee issues and customer complaints. It should be easy for you to mediate between people if you have this role.
- Leadership Skills: The shift leader trainee inspires the crew to work to the best of their ability. You’ll lead your shift and set your team up for success.
Is Burger King a Good First Job?
Yes! Burger King is one of the best places to work for team members in search of their first job.
There’s plenty of space to grow as a BK restaurant employee in the United States. Its leadership starts as crew members, and the company is famous for having the youngest CEOs!
High school students can apply for work with flexible schedules and benefits. The working environment is noteworthy as well.
Burger King has a 3.4 out of 5-star rating from over 50,000 employees on Indeed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are you still anxious about applying for your first job? Here are a few of the questions that we get asked the most.
What Is the Dress Code for Burger King?
Employees wear comfortable polo shirts with the iconic Burger King design. Its material is stain-resistant and durable.
For workers on the line, they get hats, aprons, t-shirts, and hoodies. Shoes are closed, and pants should be the standard black. The uniform helps give employees a clean look.
What Skills Do You Need for Burger King?
o work in a fast food chain like Burger King, you need multitasking and comprehension skills. You should have communication skills that let you work with your team and serve customers.
Reading and writing are a must, and you need to have the physical ability to do your tasks.
Alternative Companies to Consider
Not sure if working at a Burger King restaurant is right for you? Here are a few alternatives.
- McDonald’s Age Requirements: Work for the top fast food chain in the United States!
- Chick-Fil-A Age Requirements: If you want a positive and productive workplace, then Chick-Fil-A may be right for you.
- Taco Bell Age Requirements: Taco Bell has a youthful and upbeat environment that attracts young workers.
How old do you have to be to work at Burger King? Most restaurants follow state laws, and the minimum age is 14 years old.
Burger King is one of the top fast-food restaurants in America. It provides teens with opportunities, which makes it worth considering as a workplace.
What do you think? Will you apply to Burger King? Let us know in the comments, and share this article with your friends!