It’s common for businesses to look for experienced and mature employees. And this requirement can become a challenge for teens and first-time job seekers.
Fortunately, retail companies like Foot Locker provide entry-level opportunities for teen workers and first-timers. With these businesses, you can build your resume as early as possible.
So how old do you have to be to work at Foot Locker? What other requirements do they ask from their applicants? Let’s answer your questions about the Foot Locker hiring process below.
- How Old Do You Have to Be to Work at Foot Locker?
- Other Foot Locker Company Requirements
- Teen Jobs at Foot Locker
- Is Foot Locker a Good First Job?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Alternative Companies to Consider
- Wrapping Up
How Old Do You Have to Be to Work at Foot Locker?
To work at Foot Locker, you have to be at least 18 years of age. However, several branches accept 16 and 17 years old applicants provided they have work permits.
Whether the company accepts your job application or not will depend on your location. Some states outline stricter regulations than others when it comes to teen employment.
Minor applicants will also have fewer options for positions to apply for in the company. Conversely, you can apply for entry-level jobs or higher if you’re 18 or older.
- Does Foot Locker Hire 14 Years Old? You may have heard about the minimum age for employment being 14 years old in the US. However, retail companies like Foot Locker typically only hire 16 years old or older applicants.
- Does Foot Locker Hire 15 Years Old? While 15 is eligible for work in most states, Foot Locker usually doesn’t hire applicants at this age. So you might have to wait another year before you can apply to this company.
- Does Foot Locker Hire 16 Years Old? Yes, Foot Locker accepts 16 years old applicants with work permits. The company’s job application form states 16 as the minimum age requirement.
- Does Foot Locker Hire 50 Years Old? Retail companies typically hire older applicants for their experience and wisdom. So, you can apply at Foot Locker even if you’re 50, though you might need to tailor a resume focused on retail positions if you don’t have a background in the field.
Other Foot Locker Company Requirements
Experience and education are the two most essential elements when applying for any job. Do retail companies like Foot Locker require a diploma and experience from their employees?
Does Foot Locker Hire Without Experience?
You don’t need experience for entry-level jobs, including cashier, sales associate, or store assistant. These roles involve simple tasks, and companies provide training for them.
Corporate and supervisory positions, however, would require experience, as these functions need specialized knowledge of human resources and leadership.
That said, experience is a plus regardless of the position you want to acquire. Retail work is an attractive job opportunity for many, and the hiring process can become competitive.
Does Foot Locker Hire Without Diploma?
Like experience, educational requirements will depend on the type of job you’re applying for. And you usually won’t need a diploma for entry-level roles.
But if you want to land a higher position, such as assistant manager, manager, or supervisor, you’ll need a high school or college diploma or equivalent certifications like a GED.
The company, however, ensures a fair chance for lower-tier employees to scale even without these credentials. So you can work your way up from entry-level to managerial jobs.
Teen Jobs at Foot Locker
There are numerous vacancies for teen job seekers at Foot Locker. These jobs range from corporate, sales, and supply chain management.
If you want to send your resume to Foot Locker, it’s best you know the positions available for your age. So, here are some fantastic teen jobs at Foot Locker you can consider:
1. Stock Associate
Stock associates are responsible for the products businesses sell inside their stores. All merchandise went through stock associate inspection before reaching the customers.
These employees oversee all the products arriving in and out of the company. They receive, inspect, record, organize, secure, and process all merchandise.
Jobs Requirements & Skills
- At least 16 years old
Stock associates are crucial for a smooth production and distribution process for retail companies. This job is an excellent role for teens as it requires physical labor.
Despite its physical nature, however, you’ll still need other soft skills such as:
- Communication Skills: Stock employees work closely with sales associates, managers, and supervisors, so you should be able to communicate well.
- Collaboration Skills: Collaboration is crucial for stock workers as you’ll work with other people—from sales employees to customers and managers.
- Organizational Skills: Stock management handles all the goods inside the store. As a stock associate, you’ll be responsible for organizing valuable products.
2. Assistant Manager
Assistant managers primarily assist store managers in their responsibilities. It includes managing the employees, driving store sales, and maintaining the Foot Locker store space.
The role of assistant managers also includes delivering high-quality customer service. They coach and guide employees in every aspect of the work culture.
Jobs Requirements & Skills
- 18 years old and above
Assistant managers directly supervise employees and deal with customer service issues. A perfect role for teenagers with energetic dispositions.
Here are some of the best qualities of assistant managers you should possess:
- Interpersonal Skills: Excellent interpersonal skills are essential to supervisory roles as you regularly interact with employees and customers.
- Resourcefulness: Driving sales while keeping up with other store duties can be taxing. As such, assistant managers should be resourceful and practical at all times.
- Problem-Solving Skills: Dealing with customer concerns is a part of the responsibilities of an assistant manager, so you’ll need to be able to solve problems efficiently.
3. Sales Associate
A sales associate’s job is to create a friendly customer environment. A sales associate will work closely with shoppers, ensuring they receive what they need inside the Foot Locker store.
One vital role of sales associates is to drive sales in retail companies. These employees also deal with customer queries and concerns regarding store products and services.
Jobs Requirements & Skills
- At least 16 years old
Sales associates are the faces of every retail store. This element makes it a perfect job opportunity for younger employees.
Take note of these soft skills to excel as a sales associate:
- Listening Skills: Handling customer concerns and questions means you should be able to listen actively to assist shoppers in their endeavors.
- Emphatic Attitude: Outstanding customer service includes sales associates seeking to understand the needs of their customers.
- Communication Skills: Sales associates work with customers and other associates to provide the best shopping experience for everyone.
Is Foot Locker a Good First Job?
Retail is an excellent first job choice for people with minimal experience. The nature of the work emphasizes soft skills, such as communication, interpersonal, and listening.
One advantage of working at Foot Locker is that they provide benefits to all their employees. You’ll also receive a 30% to 50% employee discount for their products.
The type of benefits you’ll receive will usually depend on your role. Assistant managers, for instance, will receive health insurance with paid leave options.
Another benefit of working at Foot Locker is the company’s development and advancement opportunities. It’s a chance to improve your professional career through training programs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Applicants should prepare before sending in their applications. So here are some frequently asked questions about Foot Locker that might come up as one of the retail interview questions:
What is the Dress Code for Foot Locker?
Foot Locker employees wear business casual clothing. Associates wear foot locker shirts with black pants. The company also encourages wearing a Foot Locker shoe or sneaker.
What Skills Do You Need for Foot Locker?
As a retail company, Foot Locker banks on its employees’ ability to drive sales. So you have to be capable when it comes to customer service, communication, and cooperation.
Alternative Companies to Consider
The tight competition means that some job seekers won’t make the cut to be Foot Locker employees. Here’s a list of alternative companies you can try:
- Ross Age Requirements: Ross is a clothing and accessories retail giant with over 1,700 branches and 100,000 associate employees in the US.
- Vans Age Requirements: Vans is a heavyweight manufacturer of skateboarding shoes and clothing, providing job opportunities for over 10,000 workers.
- Old Navy Age Requirements: Old Navy is a clothing and accessories retailer owning over 1,100 branches all over the world and operated by over 50,000 employees.
Working in retail provides unique opportunities to build vital components of your resume. Although it doesn’t involve technical skills or knowledge, it highlights your soft skills as a worker.
If you want to apply for any position at Foot Locker, you need to be at least 16 years old. And depending on the job you want, hiring managers might ask for your experience and education.