The housekeeping industry is growing to respond to an increase in demand, but it’s also changing.
An emphasis on personalization in the residential cleaning sector makes the hospitality industry embrace eco-friendly cleaning practices and digital tools.
If you’re new to housekeeping, you may feel intimidated by your housekeeping resume. Luckily, you’re not alone! Many people struggle to adapt to the new work landscape.
Regardless of your level of experience, we can help with the housekeeper resume examples below to help you land a job in the housekeeping industry.
- Housekeeping Resume Examples
- Common Skills & Action Verbs To Include on a Housekeeping Resume
- Tips for Writing a Better Housekeeping Resume
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Similar Resume Types to Reference
- Wrapping Up
Housekeeping Resume Examples
The following resumes reflect different profiles and housekeeping niches. However, they all use effective strategies to grab a recruiter’s attention and show a candidate’s strengths.
Entry-Level Housekeeping Resume Example
For an entry-level candidate, the main challenge is to prove they have the skills and motivation required to succeed in a housekeeping position, even though they don’t have formal experience in this role.
Why We Suggest This Resume
This resume is great because it describes specific tasks and lists the number of clients the individual worked with. The description makes this side gig sound very professional. The work experience adds value to this resume because it focuses on transferable customer service skills.
- Type of Resume: Entry-Level Housekeeping Resume Example
- Best For: Those applying for housekeeping jobs with no prior experience
Energetic candidate with two years of experience as a self-employed house cleaner looking for a housekeeping position in the hospitality industry.
Self-Employed House Cleaner (2020 to present)
- Cleans the homes and yards of four clients every week.
- Follows instructions and completes a wide range of cleaning projects.
- Disinfects the bathroom and kitchen areas.
- Cleans and polishes hardwood flooring with the proper techniques and products.
- Restocks soap, tissues, and other items as needed.
Part-Time Crew Member at Popeye’s Chicken (2018 to present)
- Greets customers and represents the restaurant positively.
- Prepares food while following quality and hygiene standards.
- Performs cleaning duties, including disinfecting the food prep areas and mopping the kitchen floor at the end of each shift.
- Cleanup Staff Member at the Sunset Music Festival (2021 and 2022 editions): Swept and picked up debris on a 100-acre venue after a popular EDM festival.
- Event Services Crew Member at the Florida State Fair (2022 edition): Assisted with setting up stages and seating areas, emptied trash containers, and helped take down booths and tents.
- Physical fitness
- Attention to detail
- Ability to follow instructions
- Customer service
- Knowledge of cleaning products and best practices
- Hillsborough High School (2018 to 2022)
Why This Resume Works
This candidate is a recent high school graduate with limited work experience who manages to make the most out of their work history by emphasizing their side gig as a house cleaner and listing transferable skills.
This person decided to list their side gig as a house cleaner first, which makes sense since it’s the most relevant experience for the housekeeping job they’re going after.
The resume describes specific tasks and lists the number of clients the individual worked with. The description makes this side gig sound very professional.
The short resume objective also draws attention to this freelance gig by immediately indicating that it helps the candidate gain experience.
The second work experience adds value to this housekeeping resume because the candidate focused on transferable customer service skills and emphasized job duties like cleaning the kitchen.
The project experience section is also useful because it shows this person can work in many environments and adapt quickly. It also shows they can perform cleaning duties in different settings.
Lastly, this resume uses strong keywords that recruiters and ATS look for, such as ‘cleaning products,’ cleaning duties,’ ‘disinfect,’ and more.
Senior Housekeeping Resume Example
As a housekeeping professional with years of experience, crafting a resume showing your expertise and ability to keep up with the latest industry trends will help you find an employer who values your extensive experience.
Why We Suggest This Resume
The summary clearly shows the next step in the story by saying this person is looking for a position in the hospitality industry. The skills section does an excellent job of describing this candidate’s ability to manage a team.
- Type of Resume: Senior Housekeeping Resume Example
- Best For: Housekeepers with experience applying for senior housekeeping jobs
Experienced housekeeper in charge of a team of twelve employees. Looking for a position where I can leverage my knowledge of sustainable and effective cleaning practices in the luxury hospitality industry.
Housekeeping Manager at the Radisson Hotel Madison (2016 to present)
- Oversees a team of twelve housekeepers, including assigning cleaning tasks and performing quality checks for the 153 rooms of the hotel.
- Researches and identifies the best eco-friendly products to support the hotel’s sustainability goals and improve air quality.
- Orders cleaning supplies, toiletries, and other items as needed.
- Incorporates feedback from guests and hotel management to continuously improve workflows and best cleaning practices.
- Hires and trains new housekeepers to meet the health and cleanliness standards of the hotel.
Housekeeper at Carnival Cruises (2007 to 2012)
- Applied best cleaning practices and followed instructions to provide a positive and discreet experience to guests on the Carnival Horizon and Carnival Vista ships.
- Disinfected over 500 square feet of flooring, tables, and countertops in public areas.
- Performed daily linen changes in over 50 guest rooms and checked blankets and bed pads for cleanliness.
- Restocked toiletry items and disinfected toilets and shows in over 50 guest bathrooms per shift.
- Developed new cleaning and disinfecting practices for the Radisson Hotel Madison before reopening following COVID-19 (2020 and 2021).
- Took part in selecting a digital training platform for new hires at the Radisson Hotel Madison (2019).
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Effective time management
- Developing and following cleaning standards
- Eco-friendly cleaning
Training & Certifications
- Green Cleaning Certification from the International Janitorial Cleaning Services Association (2022)
- Attended the Sustainable Cleaning Products Summit (2021)
- People Manager Qualification from the Society for Human Resource Management (2017)
Why This Resume Works
This candidate has extensive experience in the housekeeping industry. They selected two positions that reflect different settings in the hospitality industry, and the cruise ship position is something that can make their resume more memorable.
These two positions also tell a story about a candidate who worked hard to land a job as a manager. The summary clearly shows the next step in the story by saying this person is looking for a position in the luxury hospitality industry.
The skills section does an excellent job of describing this candidate’s ability to manage a team of housekeepers and develop best practices for maintaining hygiene and cleanliness standards.
Another strong point is that the candidate demonstrates they are aware of the latest trends shaping the housekeeping industry and have successfully embraced these trends.
These trends are technology and sustainability. The project section states that the candidate has experience with purchasing a digital tool, which can be valuable for an employer that is looking into investing in digital transformation.
Mentioning the selection and use of eco-friendly cleaning products shows sustainability, which is something this candidate genuinely cares about.
The last section reinforces this impression with a certification and training event that puts time and effort into learning about eco-friendly best practices.
With a growing number of organizations setting sustainability goals, this point is a strong argument for hiring this candidate.
Hospital Housekeeping Resume Example
Housekeeping teams play a crucial role in the healthcare industry. For someone seeking a position as a hospital housekeeper, the key is to demonstrate one’s ability to follow strict regulations and keep up with a fast-paced environment.
Why We Suggest This Resume
This resume is awesome because it shows that the applicant has an advanced understanding of cleaning procedures. It also emphasizes their hard skills by listing facilities and inventory management.
- Type of Resume: Hospital Housekeeping Resume Example
- Best For: Housekeepers applying for housekeeping jobs in the healthcare sector
Detail-oriented hospital housekeeper with a thorough knowledge of cleaning procedures for medical facilities.
Hospital Housekeeper at New York Presbyterian Hospital (2019 to present)
- Prepares an average of eight exam rooms per shift by disinfecting surfaces and refilling supplies.
- Follows OSHA guidelines for identifying and disposing of medical waste.
- Operates floor-cleaning equipment to maintain health and safety standards in high-traffic areas.
- Uses the hospital’s internal digital system to report on cleaned areas and identify rooms in need of cleaning or maintenance.
- Maintains supplies for a team of five housekeepers and submits purchase requests to the procurement team weekly.
Housekeeper at the Walk-In NYC Clinic – Manhattan location (2017 to 2019)
- Cleaned and disinfected waiting areas, hallways, and bathrooms.
- Prepared exam rooms by disinfecting surfaces and laying out single-use medical supplies.
- Performed weekly checks on the HVAC system and submitted maintenance tickets as needed.
- Took part in organizing daily cleaning tasks and optimizing the housekeeping team’s workflow to enhance the experience of patients and medical staff.
Projects & Highlights
- Identified a gap in cleaning practices that could result in accidental exposure to medical waste and proposed a solution to improve OSHA compliance at New York Presbyterian Hospital (2020).
- Trained a total of five new hires to ensure everyone on the housekeeping team is familiar with the New York Presbyterian Hospital’s standards for hygiene and safety (2019 to 2023).
- Acctivate Inventory
- Advanced knowledge of OSHA best practices
- Knowledge of medical sterilization procedures
- Teamwork and communication
- Certified Healthcare Environmental Services Professional from the American Hospital Association (2017)
- B.S. in Health Sciences from the New York Institute of Technology (2013 to 2017)
Why This Resume Works
This candidate has a strong background in the healthcare industry. They understand that their advanced knowledge of guidelines for sanitation is a plus, which is why their resume includes multiple mentions of understanding and applying best practices from OSHA and their employer.
The college degree and certification listed at the end of the resume give more weight to these claims. The projects section also tells a story about a time when the candidate identified and resolved a gap in applying these guidelines.
This story shows this person has an advanced understanding of cleaning procedures and can use critical thinking instead of blindly following instructions.
The candidate also decided to emphasize their hard skills by listing facility and inventory management software in the skills section and mentioning specific tasks in the work experience section, like operating equipment.
The overall impression this resume creates is that of a professional and knowledgeable candidate. The very first word of the resume, ‘detail-oriented,’ cements this impression.
Hotel Housekeeping Resume Example
For housekeepers in the hospitality industry, it’s crucial to submit an application that highlights their ability to deliver outstanding customer service while keeping up with the demands of a busy hotel.
Why We Suggest This Resume
This resume supports the fact that the applicant is detail-oriented by describing various cleaning tasks and demonstrating their knowledge of cleaning workflows and best practices. It also shows the individual has experience with overseeing garbage collection.
- Type of Resume: Hotel Housekeeping Resume Example
- Best For: Those applying for hotel housekeeping jobs
Motivated hotel housekeeper with six years of experience in the hospitality industry. Looking for a position with opportunities for developing my leadership skills and eventually managing a housekeeping team.
Housekeeper at the Artisan Boutique Hotel (2020 to 2023)
- Coordinates with a housekeeping team of 12 employees to ensure rooms are ready for guests.
- Goes above and beyond to delight hotel guests and meet their fun or unusual housekeeping requests, ranging from placing special items in rooms to folding towels in fun shapes.
- Vacuums an average of 35 rooms a day, disinfects bathroom surfaces, and replaces bed linens.
- Operates floor-cleaning equipment and vacuums in the lobby area, hallways, and conference rooms.
- Tracks cleaning supply inventory and manages a monthly budget of $8,000 to keep the inventory stocked.
Housekeeper at the Carriage House (2017 to 2020)
- Proudly worked with a housekeeping team that maintained an average customer satisfaction rating of 98%.
- Cleaned, vacuumed, and disinfected guest rooms and bathrooms.
- Provided job shadowing and training for new housekeeping hires.
- Oversaw the garbage collection process, including checking rooms for empty trash cans and coordinating garbage pick-up with the hotel’s vendor.
Projects & Achievements
- Led a multidisciplinary committee tasked with finding eco-friendly alternatives to aerosol products. (2021)
- Updated the cleaning room checklist to eliminate redundancies and optimize the quality control workflow (2019).
- Proper handling of cleaning chemicals
- Carpet cleaning
- Time management
- Attention to detail
- Customer service
Why This Resume Works
What makes this housekeeping resume stand out? This person let their personality and passion for their job shine through by describing themselves as ‘motivated’ or using words like ‘proudly worked.’
They included a fun detail that makes their resume memorable by explaining that they like accommodating unusual housekeeping requests. It’s not a major job duty, but the image of the candidate creating towel animals to surprise guests is something a recruiter will remember.
The resume also supports the fact that this person is detail-oriented by describing various cleaning tasks and demonstrating their knowledge of cleaning workflows and best practices.
Including an average customer satisfaction rating shows the candidate genuinely cares about providing a positive experience.
They use other numbers to give recruiters an idea of the kind of work environment they’re used to. Listing how many rooms they clean in a shift shows they can do well in a fast-paced environment.
Another strength is the candidate’s willingness to take on roles with more responsibilities.
They clearly state that they would like to progress and eventually work as a manager. The resume also shows the individual has experience with overseeing garbage collection, training new hires, and managing an inventory.
The keyword ‘led’ in the projects section also shows this person feels comfortable making decisions and managing others.
Residential Housekeeper Resume Example
Demand for residential cleaning services is increasing, and working as a residential housekeeper can be an interesting entry-level job. It can also lead to other opportunities in the housekeeping industry.
Why We Suggest This Resume
This housekeeping resume stands out because it highlights their ability to deliver a positive customer experience. It also shows the applicant's experience as a self-employed housekeeper.
- Type of Resume: Residential Housekeeper Resume Example
- Best For: Those applying for residential housekeeping jobs
Customer-oriented residential house cleaner with five years of experience. Seeking a position with a private company to relocate to the Puget Sound area.
House Cleaner at Quick Clean Services (2019 to present)
- Provides residential cleaning services to a portfolio of over 25 clients.
- Performs a wide range of cleaning tasks, including dusting, vacuuming, disinfecting, wiping down surfaces, and more.
- Applies company’s best practices and uses knowledge of cleaning products and housekeeping techniques to address new cleaning challenges.
- Drives a company vehicle to transport a cleaning team of three employees to and from customers’ homes.
- Maintains an average customer satisfaction rating of 97%.
Self-Employed Housekeeper (2017 to 2019)
- Performed weekly cleaning services for 15 clients, including vacuuming, mopping, yard and driveway cleanup, and more.
- Applied active listening strategies to incorporate feedback from customers and consistently meet or exceed their expectations.
- Budgeted and managed an inventory of diverse cleaning products and supplies.
- Used digital marketing strategies like blogging and social media marketing to find new clients.
- Professional and discreet
- Advanced knowledge of cleaning products and techniques
- Equipment maintenance
- Customer service
- Inventory management
- High School Diploma from Connections Academy (2016)
Why This Resume Works
This housekeeping resume stands out thanks to the diverse experiences of the candidate. This person has worked as a residential house cleaner for a company, but they also have experience as a self-employed housekeeper.
Listing these two experiences shows this candidate is a strong self-starter, but they can also follow instructions well.
This resume highlights their ability to deliver a positive customer experience. The first word is ‘customer-oriented.’ It immediately tells recruiters that customer satisfaction is something this candidate values.
Both work experiences mention providing customer service or listening to feedback. The customer satisfaction rating percentage is a plus since it makes the candidate’s ability to deliver customer service feel more concrete.
The skills section supports this impression by describing this candidate as professional and discreet. These keywords show the person has an excellent understanding of what customers expect.
Lastly, this resume creates a strong impression by listing multiple hard skills, including specific cleaning tasks or knowledge of cleaning products. These hard skills complement soft skills like customer service and show this person has industry expertise.
Common Skills & Action Verbs To Include on a Housekeeping Resume
Word choice matters when crafting your resume. Strong keywords can make your application memorable and convey an accurate image of your skills.
Plus, recruiters are increasingly relying on Applicant Tracking Systems. These digital tools scan resumes for specific keywords, and including the keywords a recruiter is likely to look for increases your chances of getting a human to review your application.
|Common Skills for Housekeeping Resumes||Common Action Verbs for Housekeeping Resumes|
Tips for Writing a Better Housekeeping Resume
Employment is up in the housekeeping industry. Whether you’re after a residential house cleaning position or want to work in the hospitality or healthcare industry, you can expect to find available positions.
These resume writing tips will help you stand out as a candidate and prove that you have what it takes to adapt to the latest housekeeping trends.
1. A Physical Job
If you have experience as a house cleaner, you know the job is physical. When reviewing paper or digital applications, it can be difficult for recruiters to assess your fitness and energy levels.
It’s why you need to implement resume writing strategies that will help you come across as a dynamic candidate who isn’t afraid of hard work:
- Use action verbs throughout your resume to help recruiters picture you performing cleaning tasks.
- Describe cleaning tasks with specific words, like vacuuming, dusting, wiping, or scrubbing.
- You can describe yourself as energetic, dynamic, or motivated in your resume objective.
- Don’t hesitate to list your physical fitness or energetic personality in the skills section.
- Include a few numbers to show that you have experience with fast-paced work environments. For instance, you can tell recruiters how many hotel rooms or homes you clean during a typical shift.
2. Going Above and Beyond for Customers or Guests
You might not always interact with customers or guests directly, but customer service remains a crucial skill for a successful housekeeper.
A good housekeeping resume should reflect your passion for helping others and making their day better. You can use the skills section of your resume to mention your customer service or listening skills, but your application will be more memorable if you use storytelling techniques:
- Create a section where you can list projects and achievements. Briefly describe a time when you went above and beyond to make a customer’s day.
- If possible, include numbers like your customer satisfaction rate.
- Use your summary or objective to describe yourself as someone who enjoys helping others.
- If your job entails interacting with customers, guests, or patients, include at least one bullet point to describe how you make a difference with these interactions.
3. Keeping Up with Industry Trends
The housekeeping industry is going through a few changes. Digital transformation is shaping this sector, and more businesses are adopting eco-friendly products and practices. For residential businesses, the latest trends include personalized experiences and a focus on luxury services.
If you have experience or knowledge related to these trends, mention it on your resume. A detail like listing inventory management software or appointment booking tools in your skills section can make your application stand out.
You should also research your prospective employer and get a better idea of how this business is approaching these housekeeping trends. If an employer focuses on sustainability or luxury experiences, draw attention to how these trends align with your values in your resume objective.
4. Think About the Next Step
As the housekeeping industry grows, there is a strong need for leaders and managers. These leaders need to be comfortable with technology, follow strict cleaning guidelines, and have extremely high-quality standards.
When recruiting a new hire, employers will often ask themselves if this person has the potential to become a manager a few years from now.
Emphasizing your leadership skills or interest in gaining experience managing a team is an excellent way to make your resume stand out and position yourself as a candidate for a future manager training program.
Frequently Asked Questions
These questions and answers will give you more ideas for your housekeeping resume.
What are the 4 roles of housekeeping?
Roles can vary from one organization to another. However, common housekeeping duties include cleaning, representing the business, accommodating guest requests, and signaling needed repairs or maintenance.
Include these different job duties on your resume to show you’re comfortable with a multitude of tasks.
What is a good example of a housekeeping resume objective?
A compelling resume objective should feel personal while telling the recruiter what makes you different from other candidates.
For a housekeeper, a good example would be ‘An energetic residential house cleaner with six years of experience and a passion for delivering outstanding customer service.
Seeking a position in the hospitality industry where I hope to grow and use my people skills to make the guest experience memorable.’
Similar Resume Types to Reference
These resume examples will help you showcase additional skills on your application.
- Nanny resume: Do you offer nannying services along with housekeeping? Highlight your diverse skills with these resume examples.
- Stay-at-home mom resume: Are you a stay-at-home mom looking to go back to work? Find out more about turning your experience as a parent and homemaker into valuable transferable skills for the workplace.
- Property manager resume: If your role extends beyond housekeeping and includes maintenance or assisting tenants, these property manager resumes should be relevant to you.
These housekeeping resumes will help you create an application that shows you are ready to take on a new challenge and can adapt to the latest trends in the housekeeping industry.
Leave a comment below to tell us what you think of these resume examples, or let us know if we missed any valuable skills recruiters are looking for. Don’t hesitate to share this article with fellow housekeepers!