In today’s competitive job market, many youngsters are eager to start their professional careers and gain work experience.
With over 230,000 employees and an average annual salary of $45,310, CVS is a popular destination for job seekers.
CVS has various roles available from entry-level jobs to managerial roles, but how old do you have to be to work at CVS?
Do you need experience to land a job at CVS Health?
In this article, we’ll answer these questions and more. So, let’s dive straight into it.
- How Old Do You Have to Be to Work at CVS?
- Other CVS Hiring Requirements
- Teen Jobs at CVS
- Is CVS a Good First Job?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Alternative Companies to Consider
- Wrapping Up
How Old Do You Have to Be to Work at CVS?
Generally speaking, you need to be at least 16 years old to get a job at CVS.
That’s mainly because some CVS branches sell alcohol, and federal law doesn’t allow anyone under 16 years old to work there.
In branches that sell alcohol, you must be at least 18 to get hired.
If you’re over 16 and willing to work at CVS Health, you might find an entry-level position as a cashier, pharmacy technician, or sales associate role.
- Does CVS Hire 14-Year-Olds? No. If you’re 14 years old, you can’t work at CVS. That’s because of federal child labor regulations for retail stores that sell alcohol and tobacco-based products.
- Does CVS Hire 15-Year-Olds? No. According to CVS, getting hired at 15 isn’t possible. That’s mainly because they sell alcohol, wine, and spirits. Federal law prohibits underage workers from working in these places.
- Does CVS Hire 16-Year-Olds? Yes, CVS hires 16-year-olds for entry-level positions. That includes cashiers, sales associates, and beauty care associates. Make sure to check our article about jobs for 17-year-olds if you’re still looking for a job by the time you’re 17.
- Does CVS Hire 50-Year-Olds? CVS believes that talent is ageless. As such, they hire individuals aged 50 or above.
Other CVS Hiring Requirements
Whether you’re looking for a full-time job, part-time job, or a side hustle, CVS Health offers various job opportunities in analytics, distribution, information technology, pharmacy, and more.
When searching for a job, it’s critical to understand the hiring requirements that CVS has to ensure you’re a good fit for their team.
We already mentioned the age requirements, but what about experience and education?
Does CVS Hire Without Experience?
Well, it depends on the position you want to apply for. For instance, previous retail experience isn’t a must to work as a cashier or a sales associate. But keep in mind that experience is usually a plus.
CVS provides on-the-job training for entry-level positions, and they usually hire candidates after a short probation period. However, specialized roles such as pharmacists and managers may require prior work experience in a similar position.
Does CVS Hire Without a High School Diploma?
Since CVS hires 16-year-olds for entry-level jobs, you don’t need a high school diploma to work there as a sales associate or a cashier.
Though having a high school diploma or GED might be a plus when applying for some positions, it’s not necessary.
Teen Jobs at CVS
With more than 9,614 pharmacy locations in the U.S.A, CVS offers various job opportunities to teenagers who are seeking a career in the healthcare industry.
Even though the pharmacy chain usually demands a high school diploma for some positions, there are still plenty of job opportunities for teenagers who didn’t finish high school.
Let’s check out the best teen CVS jobs:
Working as a cashier in CVS, you’re responsible for handling customer transactions, maintaining a clean workspace, managing stock shelves, and dealing with customer complaints and questions.
This entry-level position requires you to be at least 16 years old, and you don’t need a high school diploma to get hired since you’ll get paid training before starting your job.
To excel at this position, there are some skills and requirements that you need to have:
- You need to be physically fit and active, as you’ll be bending, lifting stuff, and standing at cash registers for long hours.
- Decent communication and interpersonal skills as you’ll be dealing with customers all the time.
- Basic math skills as you’ll be handling money transactions and handling cash register
- You need to be organized to complete the required tasks promptly without delays
- Having strong attention to detail is a huge advantage as you’ll be counting money, recording transactions, and entering product information.
2. Sales Associate
As a sales associate at CVS, you’ll be responsible for assisting customers in finding their desired products by answering their questions and providing information about the products.
The retail store associate position is a unique opportunity for individuals aiming to excel in a customer-focused career in a reputable pharmacy retail such as CVS.
It’s worth noting that you also need to be able to perform cashier duties such as handling transactions and cash registers.
To be eligible to work as a sales associate at CVS Pharmacy, you need to be at least 16 years old. You also need to have a high school diploma or equivalent.
Here are some skills and requirements that can help you excel at this position:
- You should be physically capable of standing upright for long hours
- Lifting and moving objects with up to 35 lbs in some cases and up to 10 lbs frequently
- Prior experience in customer service or retail is advantageous
- Having a customer-driven mindset is a must to be able to solve customer’s problems
- Be a quick learner and accept feedback to quickly master new skills
3. Beauty Care Associate
CVS offers beauty care associate positions for teenagers seeking careers in the beauty industry.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for helping customers find suitable beauty products through product recommendations, demonstrating makeup techniques, and educating them about cosmetic trends.
You need to be at least 18 years old to be eligible for this job. Having a high school diploma or equivalent is advantageous but isn’t obligatory.
To be a successful beauty care associate at CVS, you need to have the following skills and requirements:
- Be sales-oriented as your main goal is assisting customers to find suitable products
- Physical ability to stand for long hours, bend over, kneel, and stoop to reach objects on lower and upper shelves
- Capable of performing tasks that need manual skill, such as piercing ears
- Extensive knowledge of beauty brands and products
- Previous sales experience is a plus
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, individually or as part of a team
Is CVS a Good First Job?
Working at a CVS store is a pretty decent first job for teenagers for several reasons. First, you don’t need experience or specific education to land an entry-level job there, you’ll get paid training and immediately get hired after.
You’ll also learn valuable skills like teamwork, customer service, time management, and cashier duties.
CVS offers part-time positions, which are ideal for students who need flexible working hours. Finally, the pay is fair for a first job.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you decide to apply for a position at CVS, you might have some questions in mind.
What is the dress code for CVS?
A CVS employee should wear brown or black pants, a company shirt with a CVS store logo, name tags, and closed-toe shoes.
Pharmacists should wear their business clothes under their lab coats, while pharmacy technicians wear hospital scrubs all the time.
Do you need a resume for CVS?
Yes, when you apply for a job at CVS on their website, it’s required that you upload your resume in the job application. Your resume should include your experience, education, skills, and other relevant information.
Alternative Companies to Consider
If you think CVS isn’t the right place for you, there are other options to consider. Walmart, Walgreens, and Dollar General are some of the best alternatives.
- Walgreens Age Requirements: According to the Walgreens age requirements, you need to be at least 16 years old for entry-level positions such as a sales associate or cashier. In advanced positions such as pharmacy technician, you need to be at least 18 years old.
- Walmart Age Requirements: The minimum Walmart age requirement for employees is 16 years old. Entry-level jobs such as cashier, greeter, stock associate, and sales associate are available for 16-year-olds. Some positions require you to be at least 18 years old.
- Dollar General Age Requirements: According to the Dollar General age requirements, you have to be at least 18 to be eligible for work. That includes working as a lead sales associate, assistant store manager, or sales associate.
So you’re asking: how old do you have to be to work at CVS? The minimum age requirement to work at CVS is 16. That’s because federal law prohibits underage workers from working at places that sell alcohol and tobacco products.
If you’re a job seeker willing to work at CVS, you might be eligible for entry-level positions such as a cashier, sales associate, or beauty care associate.
Other advanced positions such as a pharmacist, pharmacy technician, or shift supervisor require you to be at least 18 years old.
Make sure to carefully check the job description and requirements to ensure you’re a good fit.