As the name implies, professionals referred to as legal secretaries typically perform as assistants to lawyers and attorneys.
The new generation legal secretaries are assigned with across-the-board administrative jobs involving file maintenance by indexing them in systems and drafting and preparing briefs on legal proceedings like motions or appeals; whereas basic communication with clients, scheduling appointments, or arranging in house or client meetings are the major tasks of a legal secretary.
To prepare legal documentations or trial papers effectively, they commonly require undergoing an internet search, studying earlier legal case events, and need researching law books.
Activities like gathering evidence for hearings, drafting settlement papers, preparation of minutes of meetings, or interfacing with witnesses may be included in a legal secretary’s job description.
The fast growing kinds of legal complications now require legal secretaries to specialize in areas of personal injury, family law and divorce, bankruptcy, criminal law, corporate law, immigration, and so on.
Following are some tips to prepare your resume for a legal secretary.
Table Of Contents
Some Tips on Writing the Legal Secretary Resume
- The resume should contain your objective at the forefront. This must be unambiguous, precise, and appealing to your employer.
- Whether you are expert in general litigation matters or have undergone a specialization course in the areas like family law and divorce or criminal law, focus on the same, without fail.
- Computer knowledge and expertise in the English language have become essential to enter in this profession. Therefore, briefly explain your skill in computers, including MS office and file maintenance while highlighting on expertise in documentation and preparing of briefs.
- Experience in the industry is a major parameter that attracts your employers and makes them choose your resume. Hence, define the exposure array concisely covering all major points in an organized way.
- Mention your educational background, the year of passing, and name of the institute or university.
An Example of Legal Assistant Resume
Phyllis J. Blackburn
XX Woodland Drive, Storm Lake, IA 50588
(000) 014-0000, firstname.lastname@example.org
To make the best use of my skills and expertise by assisting the top notch lawyers and attorneys or joining a reputed law firm to expand my expertise level and add-on to my career prospect with this growing industry. Being an associate of a legal firm, I will attain a vast scope to accompany social victims and support them in obtaining justice.
- Specialized knowledge about family law and personal injury.
- Excellent knowledge in speaking and writing English; expert in drafting legal briefs.
- Gathered high class knowledge in investigation of case matters through ample research of the mode of case and studying internet resources.
- Knowledge in computer operations, including MS Office.
- High communication skills, administrative knowledge, and capable to guide clients as per suggestion of my seniors.
Legal Secretary (Personal Injury, Family Law and Criminal Lawyer)
Michel & Warren, Abbeville, Alabama
2012 – Present
- Involved in comprehensive research and investigation of the fact file concerning the case.
- Corresponding with Individual and Corporate clients through e-mail, as per instruction of my senior, depending upon the depth of the case. Especially linked to divorce with child custody, criminal defense, or disputed personal injury matters.
- Arranging client-lawyer meetings, noting of minutes, and recording them with official coding.
- Preparing reports in detail to assist lawyers in presenting appeals and trials; as per guidance, prepared motions and briefs, handled exhibits, reviewed trial records.
- Administrative jobs.
Morrison & Associates, Adamsville, Alabama
2010 – 2012
- Communication with clients over phone and email, scheduled appoints, informed on proceeding status.
- Maintenance of files, records, and documents in systems; updating records of ongoing court cases with full information about next date of hearing, name of concerned advocate, etc.
- Took dictation for preparing legal drafts and hearings; arranged meetings between evidence clients with lawyer.
Certificate in Legal Assistant
AND Law Institute (2010)
Bachelor’s Degree in Law
University of California (2008)