Many people are looking for a new job or choosing to make a career charge. Resume writing services can help you stand out and get your resume to the top of the pile. We’ve ranked and reviewed them, with Top Resume as the clear winner.
Read on to see why we chose them and for the other companies that almost reached our best overall resume writing service.
- Our Top Picks
- An Overview of Resume Writing Services
- The Best Resume Writing Service at a Glance
- Features To Look for in a Resume Writing Service
- Best Resume Writing Services: Our Top 3 Options [Ranked & Reviewed]
- The Best Free Resume Writing Service Options
- Notable Mentions: Other Resume Writing Services To Check Out
- Even More Options To Check Out
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrapping Up
Our Top Picks
- Top Resume – Best overall
- Resume Go – Runner-up
- ZipJob – Budget pick
- CareerOneStop – Best free service
- JobScan – Best free keyword matching
An Overview of Resume Writing Services
A good resume writing service can do more than just keep your resume from going to the bottom of the pile.
What Is a Resume Writing Service?
A resume writing service is a company that helps you find employment by improving your resume and making it stand out above others applying for the same job.
They can write resumes from scratch or just make recommendations to improve what you already have and optimize it with keyword matching.
Why Are Resume Writing Services Important?
Resume writing services are essential because a resume contains the first impression a potential employer will have of you.
A good resume can get you an interview, and resume writing services know what a good resume looks like. They also know the industry trends and can help lend you the edge in getting a job.
Do I Need a Resume Writing Service?
Almost anyone can benefit from a resume writing service. People moving into management or looking to get more money will want to revise their resumes to reflect their experience and skills best.
The Best Resume Writing Service at a Glance
We have looked for the best resume writing services today so you can focus on your resume.
What Is the Best Resume Writing Service?
Our pick for the best resume writing service is Top Resume.
They have good communication, affordable pricing, and plenty of options that can appeal to new job seekers and seasoned executives looking to move up.
What Is the Best Free Resume Writing Service?
After looking at many free resume writing services, we chose CareerOneStep.
They are sponsored by the US Department of Labor and have many resources to help you in your job search, from drafting a cover letter to preparing for an interview.
Features To Look for in a Resume Writing Service
Choosing the best resume writing service involves looking at five features, although you may have other important features to add to this list.
Whether speaking with customer service or communicating with your writer, the best resume writing services offer plenty of opportunities to communicate directly with their staff.
Consultations and check-ins can be by video, which Resume Go offers, phone, or as Top Resume offers email, so everything is documented.
2. Turnaround Time
If you need a quick turnaround for a job fair, look for companies that offer expedited delivery, like ZipJob, or plan and choose a company with a slower delivery time that allows for more frequent revisions.
Resume writing services offer either set packages, offer services a la carte as add-ons, or as monthly subscription fees for access to their services.
Our top picks offer packages that raise costs but add features like cover letters in higher tiers. Resume Go just provides two levels for people with less or more experience.
It’s rare for a writer to get it right on the first try, so resume writers often offer additional revisions for free or a set price.
If unlimited revisions are important to you, Resume Go offers unlimited revisions within 14 days of receiving the first draft.
Most resume writing services don’t offer a risk-free option and won’t refund your money since services have been rendered, but they do offer a guarantee that you’ll get a job interview or they’ll rewrite the resume for free.
Best Resume Writing Services: Our Top 3 Options [Ranked & Reviewed]
After looking at the features of the best resume writing services, we ranked our top 3 options.
Top Resume: Our Pick
Top Resume offers resume formatting, complete rewrites, and advice on how to build a competitive resume in today’s job market while being flexible and providing plenty of communication.
In addition to resumes, they offer services like cover letter writing and feature a blog that answers typical job-searching questions.
Key Features of Top Resume
- 60-day interview guarantee: Interview invitation within 60 days, or they will rewrite your resume for free.
- Attention to detail: Written to appeal to human readers and computer scanning software.
- Writer feedback: Writers communicate via email at each stage.
- Multi-level pricing: Includes a free resume review.
- Additional services: Cover letters and social media reviews can help a job-seeker stand out.
Pros of Top Resume
- Two revisions: You can ask for minor changes to the resume, and all of the packages include these two revisions.
- Free resume review: The resume is uploaded and reviewed by professionals, and then feedback is emailed on potential changes and design suggestions with no obligation to buy.
- Quick communication: Customer support and writers are quick to answer questions.
Cons of Top Resume
- Slow turnaround: Resumes take 10-12 days, so plan and allow time for the new resume to be worked on and revised.
- Pricing: The highest-level packages may be out of the price range of many job seekers.
- No refunds: Top Resume doesn’t have a refund policy. Instead, they use revisions and rewrites to ensure the customer is satisfied with the end resume.
Top Resume Pricing
- Starter: Professionally written resume and applicant tracking systems (ATS) scannable.
- Premium: Resume from the starter service, cover letter, and a 60-day interview guarantee.
- Ultimate: Everything from the Premium levels written by an executive writer, plus a LinkedIn profile update.
Bottom Line: Should You Choose Top Resume?
Top Resume has great reviews and a variety of packages for different job seekers who might need more or less work on their resume.
If you can afford to pay for a resume and are looking for a writer who will walk you through each step and don’t mind a longer turnaround time, Top Resume is a great choice.
Resume Go: Runner-Up
Founded by a former HR manager, Resume Go offers many of the same features as Top Resume, including resume writing services, cover letters, thank you letters, and LinkedIn profile rewrites. They keep a focus on communication and collaboration.
Key Features of Resume Go
- Money-back guarantee: Either request revisions or a refund within 14 days.
- Clean resume design: The formatting is simple, clean, and easily scannable.
- Simple pricing structure: They offer one level for most professionals and one for executives with over twenty-five years of experience.
- Clear communication: 1-on-1 consultation on all levels with video and written discussions.
- Experienced writers: Their writing teams are former HR managers and headhunters with decades of experience.
Pros of Resume Go
- Customer-focused: Direct communication and the ability to add on services like cover letters.
- Unlimited revisions: Resume Go offers unlimited revisions for your resume for 14 days.
- In-depth consultations: Offer the ability to speak with a writer at any stage in the writing process.
Cons of Resume Go
- Basic resumes: Some resumes need extra formatting, such as shading, color, or additional design beyond bullet points.
- No interview guarantees: It doesn’t ensure that their resumes will get you an interview.
- Turnaround time: 1-3 weeks. All the consultations and customer-focused elements of Resume Go delay turnaround time depending on how many revisions are requested.
Resume Go Pricing
- Free: 1-on-1 consultation with one of their resume writers.
- Professional: The consultation, a professionally written resume, unlimited revisions, and a 14-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied. You can also add a cover letter, a thank you letter, and a Linkedin profile service for an additional cost.
- Executive: Includes everything at the professional level plus a LinkedIn profile makeover, cover letter, and a thank you letter. Management reviews all the material for the executive level.
Bottom Line: Should You Choose Resume Go?
With a client-focused approach and reasonable pricing, Resume Go could be a good match for many professionals looking to get a new resume.
While they lack guarantees that you’ll land an interview with their resume, their unlimited revisions and collaboration methods should suit someone who wants to build their new resume actively.
ZipJob: Budget Pick
ZipJob is a budget-friendly resume writing option with many of the same features as more experienced and elaborate resume writing services.
They offer scannable resumes with a quicker turnaround time than their competitors. This makes them an ideal choice for professionals just entering the job market.
Key Features of ZipJob
- Experienced writers: Senior writers all have HR or marketing experience.
- Guarantee: You’re entitled to a new resume free of charge if you don’t receive an interview within 60 days.
- Communication: You connect to a writer through direct messages after purchase.
- Budget-friendly: The expensive package only comes in at a fraction of the cost of other resume writing services.
- Writer matching: All customers are matched to a writer familiar with the industry to give them a better chance of landing a job.
Pros of ZipJob
- Pricing: Three pricing levels with plenty included in each group and fast delivery.
- Quick turnaround: Writers can turn around a resume in roughly 3-10 days which is on the faster side for that price. Choosing the Premium package ensures expedited delivery of three days.
- Writer background: The website showcases ZipJob’s senior writers in the ‘Meet the Team’ section.
Cons of ZipJob
- Customer support: Reaching customer support can only be done by phone during office hours.
- Lack of collaboration: ZipJob doesn’t offer a video or audio consultation. Their process involves passing information in the form of direct messages.
- Hidden fees: While a great budget-friendly option, ZipJob may have hidden fees depending on the type of resume you need to write.
- Launch: Professionally written resume with ATS optimization and the ability to direct message the writer.
- Fast Track: Includes everything from the Launch package, a cover letter, and their 60-day interview guarantee.
- Premium: Includes the professionally written resume, cover letter, the 60-day interview guarantee, an update to your LinkedIn profile, and expedited delivery.
Bottom Line: Should You Choose ZipJob?
Suppose you’re a professional just entering or re-entering the job market, especially new to management, and want to update your resume to reflect this change.
In that case, ZipJob is a great budget-friendly alternative. While they make a few claims and have hidden fees, they can offer a quicker turnaround so you can get job hunting quicker.
The Best Free Resume Writing Service Options
Although paid resume writing services are standard and make many claims to help boost the chance of landing an interview, free resume writing services exist. They often allow a job seeker to tailor their resume themselves with success. Free doesn’t always mean fewer features.
CareerOneStop gives tips and advice for any aspect of the job search, all free of charge and sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Their information extends from the actual search, creating a great resume, and how to find the job that best suits your experience to the job interview and tips to come across as professional.
Why Is CareerOneStop a Great Option?
As the name suggests, CareerOneStop is more than just a resume writer. It has a lot of information written by knowledgeable and experienced HR professionals.
Their resume guide offers step-by-step instructions on writing, formatting, and marketing a resume from scratch, including keyword optimization. They also provide sample resumes and templates for various industries.
Drawbacks to CareerOneStop
CareerOneStop doesn’t offer private 1-on-1 consultations, and they don’t write a resume for you. For experienced job seekers, there may not be any new information.
Those in unique industries that require very personalized resumes may benefit more from a professional writer familiar with the style of resume they need.
Although JobScan offers paid features and a monthly subscription plan, they also offer a free tier with basic features so you can check your current resume with their keyword database.
Their website also provides extensive resume guides and templates to write your own or spruce up your current resume.
Why Is JobScan a Great Option?
JobScan is a middle ground between a free option like CareerOneStop and a paid service. They have professional features like a keyword matching tool that you can use twice a month to check your resume and a two-week trial of their paid services.
They offer detailed information from HR personnel for writing your professional resume.
Drawbacks to JobScan
Their free tier doesn’t write a resume for you; if you’re struggling to write a resume on your own, their guides may not be enough.
Their paid subscription model with a recurring monthly charge instead of purchasing a single package may be too much for a job seeker looking to get one customized resume written.
Notable Mentions: Other Resume Writing Services To Check Out
Many resume writing services are available to the public, and while not all of them are great, many offer features that may help you with your job search.
Here are notable mentions that may be the perfect match for your needs.
This paid resume writing service focuses on specific industries and tailors resumes for particular job seekers just starting and higher management who may be pursuing a higher job title.
They offer a speedy 48-72 hour turnaround time and competitive prices for other paid services.
Why Is ResumeWriters.com a Great Option?
ResumeWriters.com offers a 60-day interview guarantee, or they will rewrite the resume for free. You have the option to work with the same writer or match with a new one.
They offer an extensive list of documents from resumes to cover letters, which many others don’t, including military-to-civilian information for editing and improving your resume.
Drawbacks to ResumeWriters.com
While ResumeWriters.com offers several pricing packages and 10+ different paid options, many of their packages look the same, with only a few slight differences.
They focus on years of experience in a job to determine which package you should buy rather than adding additional features to the higher-priced levels.
- Student: A package for students and newly graduated job seekers with less than two years of experience in their chosen field. This level Includes a 3-day turnaround time and a customized resume.
- Professional: Same quick delivery but focuses on highlighting experience in a resume and keyword matching for scannable resumes.
- Executive: This package is for trained professionals like lawyers, doctors, and management executives. Offer the same delivery time but only match customers with their most experienced writers. They highlight experience, professional accomplishments, and skills in the resume.
Can You Try ResumeWriters.com for Free?
ResumeWriters does not offer a free resume review or writing service.
Monster offers help with resumes and the job hunting process and allows job seekers to upload their resumes to try to match with the job openings they list.
Their paid writing service includes options for resumes, cover letters, and LinkedIn updates, with over twenty years of experience in human resources and job searching.
Why Is Monster a Great Option?
Monster is competitively priced and offers a 60-day interview guarantee, or they will rewrite it.
They have experience with keyword matching and creating scannable resumes, as the other half of their site implements that technology with job listings from all over the world. If you need quick delivery, consider Monster.
Drawbacks to Monster
Unlike other paid services like Top Resume or Resume Go, which offer multiple or unlimited revisions over a specific time frame, Monster offers a first draft and only one revision incorporating any feedback you have.
Monster also doesn’t showcase its writers or their experience with specific industries.
- Basic: 5-day delivery of an ATS-scannable and keyword-matched resume in Word format.
- Deluxe: Includes a resume and cover letter in Word format, 5-day delivery. This option tailors the resume to a specific job title.
- Premier: Includes a resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn update with 2-day delivery. This package aims to create an overall brand for you and your job search tailored around a specific job title.
Can You Try Monster for Free?
Monster offers a free resume review but rewriting the resume requires you to pay.
Let’s Eat, Grandma
Let’s Eat, Grandma offers resume writing, cover letters, and social media updates. They utilize both forms and over-the-phone consultations and stress a high level of customer service every step of the way.
All their writers have profiles on the site, and they stress they work with clients anywhere in the world.
Why Is Let’s Eat, Grandma a Great Option?
Let’s Eat, Grandma is highly customer-focused with two levels of consultation, including a 30-minute phone interview to ensure they understand what you need in a resume.
Their pricing is competitive, and all their resumes are ATS-compliant. They state that all their writers have access to certified mentors and editors every step of the way.
Drawbacks to Let’s Eat, Grandma
This service has multiple caveats on its website that turnaround time can change quite quickly, especially around the holidays or based on demand, even as far up as their most expensive package.
They only include two revision requests in their packages, each of which can take up to 7 additional days on top of the standard ten days delivery.
Let’s Eat, Grandma Pricing
- Starter Package: A customized resume that is ATS-compliant with consultation and up to two revisions. Delivery is seven days.
- Accelerated Package: Everything from the starter package, customized cover letter, and a digital guide to cold emails and thank you notes. Delivery time and the number of revisions stay the same.
- Premium Package: All the features of the previous two levels, plus a LinkedIn profile update, are included and designed to market your skills.
- Executive Concierge Service: For top executive job seekers, that offers all the features of the previous levels, ten days of unlimited revisions, plus three more 30-minute consultations with the writer and a 60-minute coaching session with an executive coach.
Can You Try Let’s Eat, Grandma for Free?
Let’s Eat, Grandma doesn’t have a free trial, but they have a 3-day money-back guarantee.
Originally developed and founded by Harvard MBA recruiters, ResumeSpice tailors their resumes for each person and structures them to highlight the experience they already have that makes them perfect for the job.
They offer a wide variety of services both in packages and as add-ons and quick turnaround on resumes.
Why Is ResumeSpice a Great Option?
ResumeSpice is quick and focuses on the industry and level of experience each job seeker has. They offer in-person, phone, and Skype consultations and don’t appear to put any limit on the amount of time you have with a writer.
They also provide advice and information about other aspects of the job search, including career coaching.
Drawbacks to ResumeSpice
Like ResumeWriters.com, ResumeSpice offers a pricing system where people with less work experience pay less.
They also have many add-on services like cover letters and interview prep that could quickly increase the resume’s cost. Their overall pricing is more expensive than many of their competitors.
- Entry-level: For people with 0-2 years of work experience, this package includes a phone consultation with the writer and a customized ATS scannable resume, available in both Word and PDF format, and two additional revisions in as little as two days turnaround time. They offer a 60-day interview guarantee, or they will rewrite it for free.
- Professional: For job seekers with over two years of experience, a writer will provide a keyword-matched resume that is ATS scannable, as well as the features of the entry-level package.
- Executive: For anyone seeking a role of over $125K annual salary and/or looking to obtain an executive job title. All other benefits are the same as the lower tiers, including delivery time and phone consultation.
Can You Try ResumeSpice for Free?
While ResumeSpice offers guarantees, they don’t offer a free trial period.
The Muse isn’t a resume writing service; however it offers plenty of articles and advice for free, as well as the Resume Review and Mentor Connect program where you’re connected to a coach, your resume is reviewed, and feedback is given to help you improve it.
Why Is The Muse a Great Option?
The Muse is an excellent option for people who want a more 1-on-1 experience with a person as they’re editing and tailoring their resume.
The website doesn’t offer extensive rewrites, but if you already know what you want and are having trouble getting it, their mentor connect program may be beneficial.
Drawbacks to The Muse
This isn’t a full rewrite service, and their pricing focuses on Skype calls with a professional to give you the tools to write your resume yourself.
The pricing is competitive with more budget-friendly services like ZipJob, but you don’t receive as much, as it depends on the coach or mentor you pick.
The Muse Pricing
- Mentor: A 30-minute chat with a coach of your choosing over Skype, a review of your resume and an updated version of your resume, plus one round of edits.
- Coach: The time on Skype with the coach increases to 45 minutes, including an updated resume and a second round of edits.
- Master Coach: Includes a 60-minute Skype conversation with a coach, updated resume, and unlimited revisions for two weeks after the initial draft is received.
Can You Try The Muse for Free?
The Muse doesn’t offer a free trial period.
Founded in 1999, iHire offers resume-writing services, job-seeking advice, and other educational information for people looking to make a career change or upgrade. On the other side, they offer employers the opportunity to post jobs in the same format they customize resumes.
Why Is iHire a Great Option?
iHire is a great option for people who want resume writers with the Certified Advanced Resume Writer (CARW) and Certified Master Resume Writer (CMRW) certifications.
The service is competitively priced with some of the top picks in this list, and if you only need a resume, you can ignore the add-on services.
Drawbacks to iHire
Getting connected with a writer can take time, which can drive up delivery times. The company also requires each job seeker to fill out an eight-page questionnaire before receiving the first draft of a resume, which might be daunting to some people with extensive work histories.
- Base: iHire offers a set base price rather than a complete package that you can modify after signing up.
- Cover letter add-on: Like many resume-writing services such as ResumeWriters, iHire charges extra for cover letters, including them as an add-on purchase rather than part of a package deal.
Can You Try iHire for Free?
iHire doesn’t offer a free trial period, but they do offer unlimited revisions until you’re satisfied.
Even More Options To Check Out
Only some resume-writing services can make the top part of the list, but these other options may still have services you want to look into.
TopStack Resume offers resume writing, interview preparation, and a list of documents for job searches. They have a 7-14 day turnaround on all their products, and you only pay after you view the first draft of your resume.
However, all TopStack Resume products are offered a la carte, and basic packages only provide a resume and email communication with the writer. While their highest-level packages offer the same services as other resume writers, their basic packages lack additional features.
Visual CV offers templates and samples with a writing team and an editor to build a professional resume. While they are not a customized resume writer, they offer all the tools necessary to develop their resume, using samples as examples. They offer a free account to build one resume.
The pro version of the software has to be paid monthly or quarterly, making it a more expensive option than a single purchase. Unsubscribing from these services can be difficult, and the samples are limited for academic and federal resumes.
Resumeble is an affordable resume-writing service that offers a three-tier pricing system plus additional add-ons like cover letters and cold emails to recruiters. They offer a 60-day money-back guarantee, and customer support is easy to reach by email or phone.
However, this service lacks experts for specific business industries, and resumes for higher-level executives could be more particular to a C-Suite titled job seeker. Some resumes are too lengthy, especially for some job titles, and may need additional cleaning up.
Resume2Hire focuses on customized resumes and updating your LinkedIn profile to ensure smooth and coherent branding. They offer unlimited revisions until you’re satisfied, and all their resume writing packages are affordable, with plenty of options even at the least expensive level.
Customer support, however, suffers as there’s no live chat or direct phone number printed on the website to contact them. Delivery times are also slower, between 1-2 weeks before revisions begin.
ResumeEdge offers resume, cover letter, and email writing services for various industries and customers with packages and add-on services.
Their customer support is great and easy to contact, plus they include free revisions and a guarantee that a business will contact you for an interview 30 days after purchase.
ResumeEdge discontinued its resume services for countries outside of the United States. While their additional services are affordable for just a resume, their services are on the higher side.
JobStars or JobStars USA is a career services practice that offers resume writing, interview preparation, and other services by former and current recruiters. Their services are provided by certified resume writers and have quick turnaround.
These services come with a high price tag and may not be for everyone’s budget. They also have a reasonably in-depth consultation process that helps to give good results but also takes a lot of time and may be too much for a new job seeker that just wants a new resume.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding resume-writing services and resumes.
How much does it cost to have someone write your resume?
Depending on the resume writing service you choose, you can end up paying anywhere between $100 and $1,000. Prices also vary depending on how much experience you have, how much of it is relevant to your career aspirations, and the level of the job you’re planning to use the resume for.
Is it worth paying for a resume service?
Yes! The resume is an important document that can mean the difference between getting an interview opportunity. Getting a professional resume writer to create your resume can help your job search by giving potential employers the best version of you and your work history.
Finding the best resume writing services can take time and effort, with many companies offering similar services.
By identifying a company that communicates, collaborates, and guarantees its work, we’ve determined Top Resume to be the clear winner, with Resume Go coming in second. ZipJob is the budget pick if you want to spend less.
When was the last time you updated your resume? Could you benefit from a professional’s help to ensure it’s in tip-top shape? Even if you aren’t job hunting, it doesn’t hurt to keep things up to date now while you have the time to do it.